h-index (Scopus) – 13
h-index (Google scholar) – 15
Subject and Class of Degrees
1987 – M.S. degree (in Chemistry), Chemistry department, Belarusian State University, Minsk;
1990 - 1993 – post-graduate of the Belarusian State University, Minsk;
1994 – Ph.D. degree (in Chemistry), awarded by Higher certifying commission of Russia, Specialization: Radiation chemistry and organic chemistry;
2010 – Dr.Sc. degree (in Chemistry) (Doctoral dissertation “Free-radical fragmentation in a polar part of lipids: a new way of destruction and formation of biologically active compounds”, Belarusian State University, Minsk), awarded by Higher certifying commission of Belarus, Specialization: High energy chemistry;
2014 – Docent (associate professor)
- 1994 - present – way from Junior Researcher to Leading Researcher, Research Institute for Physical Chemical Problems of Belarusian State University;
- 1996 - 1997 – Postdoctoral Researcher, Max Planck Institute for Radiation chemistry (now Max Planck Institute for bioinorganic chemistry), Muelheim/Ruhr, Germany;
- 2002-2009 – Visiting Scientist, Institute for Medical Physics and Biophysics, University of Leipzig, Germany (Prof. J. Arnhold, Prof. D. Huster groups).
Current research activity
- free-radical chemistry of biological important molecules, especially lipids and their simulate compounds;
- search for regulators of free radical fragmentation of lipids among natural substances, studying the effect of this process on the structure / properties of the bilayer membrane and lipid-protein interactions.
- 1990 - 2010 – new fundamental knowledge obtained in the field of lipid chemistry. A previously unknown free radical process was discovered with the participation of glycero- and sphingolipids - a fragmentation reaction that occurs in the polar part of lipids when they interact with reactive oxygen species. It was revealed that free radical reactions can occur not only in the lipophilic (peroxidation), but also in the hydrophilic part (fragmentation) of the lipid membrane; the relationship between these processes has been determined;
- 1996 - 2009 – numerous Grands of German Academic Exchange Service and German Research Council;
- 2001 - 2004 – participant in the project of International Science and Technology Center (№ В 434);
- 2011 – the diploma of the winner of competition on the best doctoral dissertation of year awarded by Higher certifying commission of Belarus;
- 2006 - present – leader of numerous research projects funded by BSU, Belarusian Republican Foundation for Fundamental Research, the Ministry of Education of Republic of Belarus.
- various methods have been developed to study the radical-regulatory properties of biologically active compounds, based, inter alia, on the method of fluorescent probes;
- more than 100 research papers have been published, as well as two textbooks (Yurkova I.L. Bioanalytics - Minsk: BSU, 2017. – 359 p.; Yurkova I.L. Nanobioanalytics - Minsk: BSU, 2019. – 195 p.)
List of Selected Publications:
- Milach O.A., Mel’sitova I.V., YurkovaI. L. Pro(anti)oxidant Properties of Amino Acids and Their Derivatives in The Presence of Fe2+ and Cu2+ Ions // Russ. J. Gen. Chem. 2020. Vol. 90, № 6. P. 987–993.
- Shendikova E.N., Mel’sitova I.V, Yurkova I.L. Effect of sulfur-containing amino acids and peptides on the free-radical fragmentation of biologically active phospho derivatives of glycerol // High Energy Chem. 2017. Vol. 51, № 5. P. 363–368.
- Shendikova E.N., Mel’sitova I.V, Yurkova I.L. Effect of histidine-containing dipeptides on the free-radical fragmentation of biologically active phospho derivatives of glycerol // High Energy Chem. 2016. Vol. 50, № 4. Р. 249–253.
- Mel’sitova I.V., Yurkova I.L. Effect of Albumin and Water Soluble Analogs of Vitamins E, Q, and K on the Free Radical Fragmentation of Phospholipids // High Energy Chemistry 2015. Vol. 49, № 3. Р. 133–137.
- Olshuk V.N., Melsitova I.V., Yurkova I.L. Influence of lipids with hydroxyl-containing head groups on Fe2+ (Cu2+)/H2O2-mediated transformation of phospholipids in model membranes // Chem. Phys. Lipids. 2014. Vol. 177. P. 1–7
- Yurkova I.L. Free-radical reactions of glycerolipids and sphingolipids // Russian Chemical Reviews. 2012. Vol. 81, № 2. P. 175–190. (Review)
- Yurkova I.L., Arnhold J., Fitzl G., Huster D. Fragmentation of mitochondrial cardiolipin by copper ions in the Atp7b-/- mouse model of Wilson’s disease // Chem. Phys. Lipids. 2011. Vol. 164, № 3. P.393–400.
- Yurkova I., Arnhold J., Huster D. Free radical fragmentation of cardiolipin by cytochrome c // Chem. Phys. Lipids. 2009. Vol. 158, № 1. P.16–21.
- Yurkova I.L., Arnhold J. Radiation-induced free-radical fragmentation of ceramides in a model system // High Energy Chemistry 2009. Vol. 43, No. 4. P.269–273.
- Yurkova I.L., Stuckert F., Kisel M.A., Shadyro O.I., Arnhold J., Huster D. Formation of phosphatidic acid in stressed mitochondria // Аrch. Biochem. Biophys. 2008. Vol. 480, №1. P. 17–26.
- Yurkova I.L., Arnhold J. Ceramide formation on the γ-irradiation of galactocerebroside as a constituent of micelles // High Energy Chemistry 2008. Vol. 42, № 4. P. 303–307.
- Yurkova I., Kisel M., Arnhold J., Shadyro O. Dophamine and iron mediated fragmentation of galactocerebroside and cardiolipin in micelles // Cent. Eur. J. Chem. 2007. Vol. 5, № 4. P. 970–980.
- Yurkova I.L., Kisel M.A., Arnhold J., Shadyro O. Effect of structure of polar head of phospholipids on their fragmentation during γ-irradiation of model membranes // High Energy Chemistry 2006. Т. 40, № 5. P. 300-303.
- Yurkova I., Kisel M., Arnhold J., Shadyro O. Iron-mediated free-radical formation of signaling lipids in a model system // Chem. Phys. Lipid. 2005. Vol.137, № 1/2. P. 29–37.
- Shadyro O., Yurkova I., Kisel M., Brede O., Arnhold J. Formation of phosphatidic acid, ceramide, and diglyceride on radiolysis of lipids: identification by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry // Free Radic. Biol. Med. 2004. Vol. 36, № 12. P. 1612–1624.
- Shadyro O., Yurkova I., Kisel M., Brede O., Arnhold J. Radiation-induced fragmentation of cardiolipin in a model a membrane // Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 2004. Vol. 80, № 3. P. 239–245.
- Shadyro O.I., Yurkova I.L., Kisel M.A. Radiation-induced peroxidation and fragmentation of lipids in a model membrane // Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 2002. Vol. 78, № 3. P. 211–217.
- Yurkova I.L., Schuchmann H.-P., von Sonntag C. Production of OH radicals in the autoxidation of the Fe(II)-EDTA system // J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans.2. 1999. Vol.10. P.2049–2052.
- Edimеcheva I.P., Kisel M.A., Shadyro O.I., Vlasov A.P., Yurkova I.L. The damage to phospholipids caused by free radical attack on glycerol and sphingosine backbone // Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 1997. Vol. 71, № 5. P. 555–560.